Monday, September 23, 2013

Day Eight – Elephants, Monkeys, and hippos. Good grief!





Part of the excitement of taking a missions trip to Africa is having the opportunity to see so much of God’s wild creation up close and personal.  During my trip to Zambia in 2008, a couple of friends and I had the chance to go on a safari excursion, and our mode of transport was on the back of an elephant.  It was an unforgettable experience!  As we trudged through the bush in our pachyderm convoy, looking and listening for the perfect photo opportunity, the trail guide pointed out that the ears of an African elephant are shaped like its native continent.  It’s an easy way to tell the difference between them and their Asian cousins, who have tiny ears.  I marveled at the detail of God’s creative genius.  I was excited when Kevin said that we were going to spend the night at a game lodge and take a track ‘n trail excursion to see wild animals in their natural habitat.  I didn’t know what kind of accommodations to expect, but Kevin said that the lodge was really nice, and the game drive was excellent. He told me that friends of his had witnessed a ‘live kill’ on the game drive only a few weeks before.  The thought of that was a little too much real life National Geographic for me to stomach, but I was willing to be adventurous.  The game park and lodge were a couple of hours drive from Chipata.  The day started out with cold morning air again, but the further we got from Chipata, the warmer it became.  We were using the Jalowiec’s vehicle, and Dan was driving.  He and Kevin occupied the front seats, Savannah and her girls sat in the middle row, while Jan and I kept all the luggage in tow in the very back of the truck.    Gabriella hadn’t been sleeping well the last few nights, so Savannah and the wee lasses took a much needed nap.  Jan was beginning to feel a bit car sick, so she closed her eyes and faced forward for the bulk of the drive.  I was facing toward the rear of the vehicle and tried to get a little bible reading done (that’s what I was doing when Jan snapped the cover photo for this blog), but my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of the future, my husband and children,  and where Zambia fit in the landscape of my life. 



Before I knew it, we’d arrived.    The girls awoke in time to see what looked like a two headed giraffe.  Upon closer inspection, I realized there were actually two giraffe standing next to each other.  Perhaps they were part of the welcoming committee since they were positioned at the entrance to the game lodge.    We followed the road to our lodge and exited the vehicle.  Baboons and wild monkeys roamed the grounds at will.  Sounds of monkey screeching and hippopotamus conversation were in the air.  It was a lovely setting.  We were greeted by Peter, one of the lodge managers, and shown to our tents.  I had never slept overnight in a tent before, nor did I have any real outdoor camping experience.  However, this tent was unlike anything I could have imagined.  It was completely luxurious – like something out of Conde´ Naste travel magazine.   All of a sudden I really missed Harden and wished I was sharing the experience with him.  He would have greatly appreciated the uniqueness of the accommodations since he has worked in the hotel business for more than twenty years.  Once we were settled into our rooms, we were given a quick tour around the grounds.  Peter informed us that elephants and rhinos were known to frequent the property, particularly at night.  If we should be walking around the lodge after dark and happen upon either of the two, we were advised to keep our distance since the animals have the ‘right of way.’   I smiled and thought to myself, “I won’t have any problem doing just that.”  Peter also advised us to remove all food and snacks from our vehicle and not to keep ANY food in the tent.   The animals have a keen sense of smell and wouldn’t hesitate to destroy property in search of a little midnight snack. During the tour, we met a couple of vacationers that had failed to heed Peter’s warning.  They relayed a story about a hungry elephant that had ripped off the ENTIRE top of their S.U.V. the night before.  Apparently the tourists thought the elephant wouldn’t be able to smell the food that they had stored inside a cooler in the back of their vehicle.  WRONG.   Not only did the elephant smell the food, it also found the food, and then marked the vehicle with its scent so that it could return every night for another snack (elephants never forget, you know).  I felt so sorry for these poor people.  They were scared to death!  After the tour, we sat down to enjoy an al fresco lunch.  It was a perfect day:  great company, really tasty food, incredible weather, and a fabulous view overlooking the river.  It was hard for me to believe I was really half way around the world.  The sounds of the hippos quickly brought me back to reality. 


Kevin had arranged for us to participate in the evening game drive which started just before dusk.  Our driver was a young man named 'Friday.'  Also accompanying us in our vehicle was a man and woman named Dennis and Jane, who had traveled from Europe to enjoy a winter safari holiday.   The main attraction for all of the lodges in the area was the 5600+ square mile South Luangwa National Park, home to hundreds of species of flora and fauna.  Savannah, Kevin, and their girls were in the seat in front of Dan and me.  Jan chose to skip the game drive so she could enjoy the peaceful tranquility of the lodge for a few hours.  Analiese peppered her mom and dad with questions about the different animals.  I loved listening to her little voice and watching her reaction to everything she was seeing.  Game drive vehicles from various lodges were all out enjoying the animal sites and sounds.  Friday was a novice guide (he’d only been leading trail rides for 3 years), and he was becoming a real source of irritation to the more experienced drivers.  At one point during the drive we heard animal calls that sounded like an alarm system.  The elephants, alpaca, and puku seemed to be running toward us, and I was getting nervous. A leopard had been spotted just a few yards away.  Great Day in the Morning!  A couple of other jeeps were also in the area, and everyone knew about the leopard spotting (I don’t know how the word got out).  The leopard had seized its prey (a puku) and was enjoying its feast inside a thicket of brush.  The other vehicles stood motionless hoping to get a picture of the leopard kill while our vehicle revved its engine, drove in circles, disturbed the silence, and annoyed the passengers in the other jeeps that had packed their professional grade camera gear.  I was struck by the sophistication of their equipment.  Some of the cameras had 12 inch camouflage covered lenses attached to a base that was supported by a tripod.  These people were serious about their picture taking, and I was embarrassed to let them see my little point and shoot Nikon. Dan and I had both brought a pair of binoculars, so I was able to focus in on the thicket.  I’m happy to say that I saw the leopard’s tail, but that was all.  Once the drama of that moment was over, we continued on.  Zebras, giraffes, elephants, water buffalo, alpaca, and hippos were getting ready for bed.  It was such a beautiful evening.  I felt like singing Home on the Range, but I didn’t dare.   

Peter drove up in another vehicle.  He had come to retrieve Savannah, Analiese, and Gabriella so that Savannah could get the girls ready for bed.  The rest of us proceeded on with the tour.  The sun had set, and we stopped for a quick snack break and chance to stretch our legs.  We then continued driving with the Jeep’s headlights turned on.  Friday’s assistant road shot-gun and carried a spotlight so that he could point out any interesting nocturnal activity.   I wished he had carried an actual shot gun just in case we encountered any trouble, but weapons weren't permitted inside the park.  Friday decided to double back and head toward the area where the leopard had been spotted.  Signs posted throughout the Park instructed visitors to stay on the paths and remain a reasonable distance from the animals.  In Friday’s mind, ‘reasonable’ was definitely ‘relative.’  He was intent on getting a look at that leopard up close, so he actually drove the jeep into the thicket of brush.  I found myself ducking and weaving to avoid being whacked in the face and side with tree limbs.  Poor Dan.  He had to sit in that back seat with me.  Thankfully we DIDN’T spot the leopard; however, it had left behind traces of the kill.  We could see splatters of blood here and there, and I was ready to get out of the bushes and return to the path.  We drove in further.  The jeep was surrounded on all sides by limbs and brush (prayerfully no poison ivy or oak), and the clearing had narrowed significantly.  Friday decided it was time to turn around, but we were stuck.  The only way to get out was to put the jeep in reverse, back into the brush, and go out the same way we'd come in.  He must have forgotten that Dan and I were in the back of the jeep.  He kept maneuvering the jeep forward then back, forward the back in an effort to get us turned around.  At one point I was leaning completely forward with a tree limb stuck up my back!   In my mind I kept praying, asking the Lord to help us.  Once Friday finally got the jeep headed in the right direction, I exclaimed, “Thank you God!”  Jane laughed out loud.  I did too, but more out of a sense of relieved anxiety than humor.

I was beginning to have misgivings about Friday’s level of common sense, to say the least.  I started to murmur about our predicament to Dan and Kevin when our jeep spotted the headlights of two other vehicles.  We drove in their direction.  There, lying in the middle of the road with spotlights shined on them were two young lions – a male and female.  I couldn’t believe it!  Friday pulled the jeep up so close to them we couldn’t have been more than 10 meters away. He turned off the engine, and we just watched, whispered, and snapped pictures.   My poor camera shots didn’t do these creatures justice.  They were beautiful!  I must admit I was thankful they were on Dan and Kevin’s side of the vehicle.   I wondered why they didn’t charge at us.  Dennis explained the reason they were so docile was because it was mating season.  Their ritual was to mate every 15 minutes, and they were tired (no comments ☺).  The lions stood up and began to move even CLOSER to our jeep.  Friday sat paralyzed.  Dan leaned over closer to me (they were only about 5 meters from his right leg), and I put my hand over my mouth to muffle a scream. It wasn’t until the lions were almost eye level with Friday did he wake up out his stupor, crank up the jeep and throw the vehicle into reverse so the lions could pass in front of us.  Whew!  That was too close for my comfort!

Our jeep became isolated from the other vehicles as Friday was forging his own path through the game park.   We spotted more hippos, and I got to see my first hyenas.  I know that all of God’s creation is magnificent, but hyenas really are the scourge of the African savannah.  That is one ugly animal.   As we headed back toward the lodge, I looked up into the clear, night sky.  There must have been 5 billion stars twinkling overhead.  It was a spectacular light show, and I had a thousand thoughts running through my mind.  We pulled into the lodge parking lot, and Jan was waiting.  The four of us were going to enjoy a late night supper.  As we walked past the tents on our way to the restaurant, there stood a two story tall elephant right in front of Kevin and Savannah’s tent door.  We all froze.  I prayed Savannah didn’t have any food in the tent.   Thankfully the elephant wasn’t feeling overly curious that night, and it walked by without incident.  Kevin and Savannah corresponded via text, and she assured him that they were alright.  My goodness!  It was a night to remember, yet the adventures of the morrow were only hours away.

next time:  A Rose Among Thorns

No comments:

Post a Comment