Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day Five - Painting, Singing, and Solar Lights


Monday morning came bright and early.  I experienced my first power outage at 6:30pm the night before.  Kevin had warned me before coming to Zambia that they were losing power every other night.  Just as we were finishing dinner everything grew dark and still - for just a few seconds.  Candles and flashlights were readily available throughout the house, so no one missed a beat.  Even Analiese (age 3) and Gabriella (1 year old) were accustomed to the routine.  Savannah and I spent the next hour and a half talking about random “nonsense” and tried to keep each other awake.  I was determined to not fall asleep before 8 o’ clock!  We laughed and talked about all things southern, like fried apple pies (which Savannah had never tasted, bless her heart).   Gabriella helped me count diaper pins, and she and I folded cloth diapers together in the dark.  These items were going to be part of the newborn layette kits that I’d be delivering to the maternity clinic that week, and I was grateful for her help.  Once the power returned, I retired to my room, ready for a full day of activity at the clinic.

Local barber shop
 
General Clinic Building
The Chinunda Rural Health Center is located about 1 ½ miles down the dirt road from Big Tree Baptist Church.  Village huts, family grain silos, and mom ‘n pop businesses line the road to the clinic.  We even drove past a village barber shop.  I exited the vehicle and was greeted by some of the members of Big Tree Baptist Church that I had met the day before.  They were putting shoe leather to Dan Jalowiec’s sermon challenge about being committed to Christ and had come to offer their help in transforming the clinic.  
 Before we started working, Kevin introduced me to the head nurse/midwife of the facility.  Everyone called her Amayi Phiri (pronounced peer-y).  She had such a warm smile, and she even laughed just a little when Kevin told her my last name was Perry.  I would soon learn that her first name is Mable, and she has an incredible life story.  I’ll share the details of that in my next post.  There were so many patients waiting in line to be seen, and I didn’t want to take Mable away from her work, but she graciously agreed to show us around the compound.  The health center is divided into three main buildings:  the general clinic, the maternity delivery ward, and the recovery ward.  We walked down to the delivery ward and into a semi-dark room.  Mable was so excited because just weeks earlier a team of people from the Chick-fil-a, Winshape organization had helped to totally renovate the clinic.  They had painted walls
solar lighting in the rooms
and plastered the outside of the building.
  However, the pièce de résistance of the entire renovation was the installation of solar lighting panels.  Mable shared with us how wonderful it was to be able to flip a switch on the wall and flood the room with light.  Now, when it was time to deliver a baby she wouldn’t have to depend on someone holding a candle to provide light during the birthing process!  I couldn’t speak, but my heart was flip-flopping again

As we were talking with Mable, we walked by a 16 year old that had just delivered a baby girl at 1am that morning. She was sitting on the recovery table, eating a piece of bread.  She had such a faraway look in her eye that seemed to whisper, “What in the world just happened to me?”  I smiled as sweetly as I could, touched her arm and said, “God bless you.”  She didn’t seem to understand, but she did make eye contact and gave me a weak smile in return.  I felt like I was intruding on the young girl’s private moments of reflection, but I asked to see the baby.  The mother’s relative was also in the room and seemed to indicate that it would be alright.   Mable unwrapped the little bundle that was on the bed next to the new mother.  I had no idea there was a baby tucked inside all those blankets.  She was so beautiful, just hours old, and I dared not touch her (I get baby fever so easily)!  We completed the tour, and it was time to get to work.  I thanked Mable for her faithfulness and hard work.  Then I asked Kevin to take a picture of the two of us.  I knew I would never forget this woman. 

I was dressed for a full day of painting – well not really.  I was wearing an ankle length broomstick skirt, sneakers, and a short sleeved t-shirt that Harden had given me with the words 'super mom, Super Wife, SUPER TIRED!' written across the front.  It is customary for women in the Bush to only wear long skirts out in public, and I didn’t want to offend anyone by my appearance.  However, painting in a skirt was going to be a new experience for me.  I had told Kevin the night before that I was a professional painter.  What I meant was that I had a lot of painting experience, and my work rivaled that of any painting pro.  However, somewhere in the translation the message was conveyed that I painted houses and buildings for a living!  I could only laugh.



Kevin assigned me the task of showing the villagers how to paint.  Some of the men had a little experience.  None of the women had ever held a paintbrush before, nor were they accustomed to climbing up and down a ladder.  Once we got the rooms cleared of the dilapidated medical furnishings and the painting equipment organized, I set about getting my new painting crew involved in the work.  Kevin told me how important it was to demonstrate the technique and then allow them to do the painting.  We were applying oil based primer to roughly plastered walls, and it seemed like the walls were a sponge.  We used over 5 gallons of paint in two small clinic rooms!  Despite our best efforts to keep the paint on the walls and off the floor, it was being flung everywhere! 

One of the ladies carried a paintbrush in one hand and a baby on her back at the same time.  After a couple of hours, that sweet little guy’s brown skin was flecked and smeared with the primer.  I felt so sorry for him when I thought about the scrubbing his little body was going to get to remove the paint, and oil based paint can only be removed with mineral spirits. The clinic floors were also rough and uneven, and the ceilings were about 10-12 feet high.  At one point one of the young ladies was standing on the ladder when it began to give way due to the uneven grade of the floor.  She didn’t know how to balance her weight on the step.  I could see the fear in her eyes as she almost took a tumble, and from that point forward none of the women climbed the ladder, except me.  I, too, kept tripping over my skirt every time I climbed up, so I finally yielded to my common sense, tied up the base of my skirt into several evenly spaced knots just above my ankles, and I kept on truckin’! 

The most pleasant part of my day was being part of the sing-a-long as all the painting, plastering, drilling, and installing of solar light fixtures was taking place. True contentment is standing on the top rung of a 6 foot ladder, knocking down spider webs with my right hand, balancing a small bucket of paint on top of the ladder, and ‘cutting in’ paint lines near the ceiling with my left hand all while singing about the joys of heaven and the journey to get there! These are the words from the chorus of the hymn I sung most often.  I’m humming it to myself, even now, as I type:
Zoona Nizapitadi, Ine nizapitadi

Zoona Nizapitadi

Kumwamba, nizapitadi

Komwe Kuli, angelo kumwambako

Zoona nizapidatdi, Kumwamba nizapitadi



Truly I will go

Yes, I will go, I will go

In heaven, I will go.

I will be where there are angels

Truly I will go, to heaven I will go...

Tomorrow:  Florence Nightingale is in the Village


©2013 Phylicia Perry.  All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment