Friday, September 6, 2013

Day Four - The Sweet Sound of Literacy



students in the literacy class
Can you imagine hearing people talk about the wonders of reading the written word while having no ability to experience that wonder for yourself? This is the circumstance in which about 51% of the population of Chipata finds itself.  In the summer of 2011 Kevin Pestke and I had our first email dialogue about the problem of illiteracy among the people that live in the rural bush region.   Using research data compiled by Kimberly as one of my information sources, I began to make plans to help alleviate the issue through the Sisterhood Of Servants outreach ministry called the Global Sisterhood Initiative™ (GSI).  The GSI is a practical "helps" ministry to missionaries, national pastors, and long term aid workers serving on the foreign field.  The goal of the GSI is to provide practical resources to women abroad (primarily in third world countries) who seek to make a positive contribution to their community yet have been limited in their opportunities to provide for themselves and their families as a result of widowhood, human trafficking, cultural traditions, and civil unrest.  One of the primary components of the program is literacy training.   


Big Tree Baptist Church, today
Original church meeting place
No one can imagine the flip-flops my heart was experiencing my first Sunday morning in Chipata as we drove more than 18 miles deep into the bush to attend the worship service at Big Tree Baptist Church in Milongwe village.   The SUV ‘bus’ ministry was functioning to full capacity, and we picked up several church members along the way.  The Jalowiecs drove in one vehicle, and I rode with the Pestkes in the other.  Let me just say, KEVIN DRIVES FAST! The dirt road was dotted with cows, pigs, chickens, goats, and people.  Somehow they all managed to get themselves to the side of the road without Kevin having to decelerate; all that was required was a brief honk from the truck horn.  I was thankful I didn’t have to witness any animal or human sacrifice on my way to church! 

When the Pestkes founded Big Tree Baptist Church about 11 months ago, there were 18 -25 members that attended faithfully, and the meeting place was a huge African tree that holds its color even when the rest of the landscape has turned brown.  A thatch roof structure has since been constructed, and as I waited for all of the members to arrive (30+), I was treated to a mini-concert by the young people’s choir.  Their musical blend of melody and harmony was beautiful and served as a kind of call to worship for all the villagers.   I used the hymnbook that Kevin had given me and sang in my best Chichewa accent.  Jan Jalowiec gave me a great tip on remembering the words to the songs.  She ‘modified’ the lyrics with American phrases that were close in sound to the Chichewa language.  I mean absolutely no disrespect, but at various times during the song services I found myself repeating phrases that sounded like ‘chuck-e-cheese’ and ‘baloney- blessing’  over and over again!  Dan Jalowiec preached a great message on commitment to the cause of Christ, and at the end of the service all the members, both old and young, lined up and greeted each other with a holy handshake while singing a closing hymn.  I envisioned the day when the church membership would grow to the point that folks were wrapped around the building for the benediction.  Won’t that be a blessed sight?


Atnes (r) saved me from scandal ☺ 

Before lunch was served I excused myself to use the facilities.  With t.p. in hand, I tried to act nonchalant as I walked toward what I thought was the Bush potty.  I stepped inside and noticed that there was water everywhere.   I was completely confused because there wasn’t the customary hole dug into the ground.  I didn’t know what to do, and I had to ‘go.’   I walked out of the ‘facility’ and discovered a small group of onlookers had gathered.  I was approached by a very kind, very wise, and very patient woman named Atnes who lived in the village.  We didn’t speak a word to each other, but she had that knowing look in her eye.  She smiled sweetly at me and pointed in the direction of the REAL Bush potty which was just a few feet from where I was standing.  I hadn’t noticed it.  Apparently I had wandered into the community shower and was prepared to use it for a purpose CLEARLY UNINTENDED by the villagers who'd built it.   I smiled back, grabbed her hand and said, “Zikomo, Zikomo.” (thank you, thank you).  I was incredibly grateful for that little bit of intervention.  Can you imagine the village talk if I had followed through on my original instincts? 

Doreen Zulu
I enjoyed lunch immensely even though I was still using my ‘two-handed’ technique.  At least I can say I cleaned my plate, and I tried not to lick my fingers this time.  While the missionaries and I were eating, students were gathering in the Big Tree church building for literacy class.   I was going to have my first opportunity to observe the class in action.  After two years of planning and praying, God was giving me the gift of seeing one component of the GSI come to life. The class meets 3 days a week, in 2 hour class sessions, and is taught by a wonderful woman named Doreen Zulu (click here to read more about Doreen’s life and ministry).   The students range in age from 15 to over 50.   I was overwhelmed when Amayi (mother) Zulu asked me to speak to the group before class started.  I stood before these adults and just beemed.  Their faces looked so beautiful to me.  Once the class got started, I sat on one of the mud pews near the back of the church and marveled as I listened to the recitation of vowel sounds.  I’m not exaggerating when I say that it sounded like a line of music in my ears.   Amayi Zulu continued to teach the lesson, and she asked several students to go up to the white board, one at a time.  It’s a small thing, I know, but I was so pleased to see that white board attached by reeds, of some sort, to the poles that made up the building frame.  The first humanitarian grant that Sisterhood Of Servants ever made was to Kevin’s ministry, and he had used the funds for school supplies and the purchase of the board. 
Bennett Zulu
School paper of 24 year old 8th grader
Irene, over 40, never written before












Amayi Zulu called one student to the board whose name is Bennett Zulu – no relation. The name Zulu in the Bush is a common name, much like Smith in the United States.  Bennett is 56 years old.  He stood before the class and wrote the date on the board.   After he wrote, Amayi Zulu acknowledged her approval and encouraged him.  She told me that before class started back in January, Bennett had never before picked up a writing instrument.    Now, he could write his name, the date, and he was learning the alphabet.  He had told Amayi Zulu on a previous occasion that he hoped to someday be able to stand up in church and read a passage of scripture to the congregation.  At that moment, I lost all my decorum and had to excuse myself from the class.  I was so overcome with emotion.  As I stood off by myself and wept, I thanked the Lord for allowing me to witness His good work in the lives of these dear people.  I thanked him for every dollar that was donated to help people like Bennett learn to read the word of God for themselves.  I thanked him for allowing me to be his child.  I just couldn’t thank him enough!  I returned to the class, and Amayi Zulu said that the students were going to work on the writing assignments she had given them.  When they finished, she wanted them to bring their school papers to Kevin and me so that we could look over them and see their progress. What a blessed privilege.  The handwriting and pace of learning was varied, as you would expect.  Amayi Zulu was truly implementing the one-room-schoolhouse model so prevalent in American pioneer days.  Her students were at all levels of comprehension.    

At one point during the class, Kevin brought in an encyclopedia of the world, complete with colorful pictures.  He showed these mostly adult students a map of Africa.  He asked them if they knew where Zambia was located.  No one knew.  You should have seen their eyes light up as Kevin showed them Zambia and the location of Chipata.   Amayi told me that illiteracy is such a problem, most villagers have never even seen a map before, let alone know the purpose of it.   Incredible! Near the end of my time observing the class, Amayi Zulu asked one of the women to stand up and share a word of testimony about why she was coming to school every week.  Her name is Aylid.  She is over 40 years old and had never even written anything before coming to the literacy class.  I wish I had recorded what she said, but I don’t think I’ll ever forget her words.  They are forever etched in my mind:
Aylid

“I started coming to school because I wanted to learn to read the bible.  I was so tired of people reading it to me.  I wanted to look up the scriptures for myself.  This is a good school.  So many times our children in the village don’t go to school because it is so far away.  They just stay at home.  But if I can learn to read, then perhaps my children will be able to learn also.”

I was speechless.  Kevin and I talked a little on the drive home from church, but I was preoccupied with my thoughts. I tried to put into perspective what had just transpired in that class and the impact it would have on the people of Milongwe Village.  My mind continued to race, and I willed my thoughts to slow down and be still.   Little did I know there was so much more coming. 

Next time: Paint, Singing, and Solar Lighting 


©2013 Phylicia Perry.  All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment