Tuesday, December 20, 2016

ZAMBIA CHRONICLES DAY 4 - Bush Livin'

Monday Afternoon – 
Robert Zulu (the vice chairman of my Zambia Board of Directors) arranged for me to meet with the prospective members of the community committee who would oversee the farming co-op. What at a privilege to be able to sit before these men and women and share the ZSOS vision for the village. After sharing the Sisterhood Of Servants story with them, I emphasized that our board of directors was looking for men and women whose personal testimonies were beyond reproach, who were honest in their business dealings, and hard working. I laid out in detail our activities for the entire week. Their level of excitement could easily be seen on their faces as my interpreter explained that a bore hole would be installed and water was coming to the village. Our community garden would be started this week, as well, and they would be the workers responsible for the success of the farming co-op. I explained in detail all that would be expected of them, and with one voice, these men and women committed themselves whole heartedly to the project. My heart soared!
Monday Night -
My first observation from my first night in the bush is that it is really dark. My handicap was magnified as I tried to maneuver my way through Atnes’ small house with a flashlight. I’m amazed that Doreen and Atnes can see ANYTHING because I feel absolutely blind. I believe the Lord has gifted Zambians with supernatural, infrared, nocturnal vision. It's an incredible thing to behold!
There was a gentle breeze last night. The Super moon lit up the Zambian sky. I’m thankful because it helped with my night blindness. My sleep was so peaceful, and I praise the Lord for the air mattresses I shipped ahead of time. The breeze of the night rocked me to sleep.
NOTE TO SELF: try to avoid using the bush potty once the sun goes down. EVERYTHING is alive and creeping! I’d just as soon not know what’s in there with me! 




Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people sitting and outdoor
Members of the farming co-op, comprised of 6 men and one woman. These are the farmers that have committed themselves to the success of the project. The man whose face is poking in between the men on the back row is Johnson, our literacy teacher.
  


Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, outdoor
Doreen Zulu - my eyes, voice, confidant, and dear friend. I would have been lost in the bush had she not been there to guide me and interpret for me. I love this woman and her family.
Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, tree and outdoor
Robert Zulu (pictured left - Doreen's husband) is my vice chairman of my board of directors in Zambia. Earnest is the man next to him. He was my "taxi driver" into the village and served as my interpreter during the introductory meeting with the prospective co-op members.
  
Image may contain: night, sky, tree, cloud, outdoor and nature
The Super Moon from my Zambian perspective. It was HUGE! My camera doesn't do it justice.








😃

No comments:

Post a Comment