Sunday, June 22, 2014

A Gift from the Chief - Billy, the Kid


Conversation with the Chief's wife
Before leaving the palace compound to go on the tour of Mnukwa village, we had a brief photo session, and pictures were taken of our group with the Chief.  During that time, I was able to speak briefly with his wife (I don’t think I ever asked for her name).  Our conversation revolved around the needs of her people and young women, in particular.   She assured me that the work we hoped to accomplish in the village through the MVEVI would be most welcome, much needed, and greatly appreciated.  She encouraged me to stay in touch with the Chief and even gave me his cell phone number!  I gave her my pledge that I would be diligent to attend to the details of our project to be sure that we accomplished our goals.  As we were traveling back to the palace having completed the tour of the Resource Center, Kevin stopped to pick up a large bundle of malasha (charcoal) for Robert and Doreen.  He’s become more fluent in Chichewa and was able to converse with ease with one of the village women while the transaction for the charcoal was being completed.  I could only smile and wave and say, "Muli bwanji (how are you?)" I made a mental note to myself:  “Phylicia, you have got to get a phrase book and practice learning more of the language between your visits to the country.” 

The Meeting Tree
Once we arrived at the palace, we all resumed our seats under the meeting tree.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw two of the Chief’s advisors walking toward us, and they were carrying something really special.  A goat had been tied by its hooves with rope, and it was bleating in protest.  Robert Zulu was sitting in one of the chairs positioned in a circle around the tree, and the men placed the goat near his feet.  Praise the Lord the goat stopped crying.  Chief Mnukwa’s senior advisor came forward.  He sat down on the ground in front of the Chief with his legs crossed and addressed him respectfully with a bow from the waist.  I was so impressed with this man.   I don’t remember his name, but I’ll never forget him.  He is several inches shorter than I am, has all of his original teeth and an infectious smile, is well into his 80s, and has the mobility of a teenage boy!  I love the fact that his posture is always one of gracious humility when he addresses the Chief in a formal setting.  He spoke briefly to the Chief then he rose, walked a few feet, and sat down in front of Robert.  This dear man began explaining the purpose of the goat.  I found it a little difficult to hear the translation of the conversation, but this is the gist of what was said:  every time that Robert and Dan made an appointment to meet the Chief to discuss ZSOS business or Big Tree Baptist Church business, they never asked for anything in return, not even a drink of water.  Because of their testimony of selflessness and desire to minister to the people of Malongwe Village, the Chief wanted to present our group with a gift.  Hence, the goat.  I was astonished and speechless. 
Can't you just hear him crying?
As if on cue, the goat bleated again, and I suddenly felt a little squeamish.  It took me just a minute, but I realized that the poor little guy (I’ve since named him Billy) was being given as an ‘offering of thanks.'  I silently prayed that he would be kept as a ceremonial pet by someone in Chipata.  My hopes were dashed when the Chief began to describe the delicacy of roasted goat meat.  He spoke very graphically about how the belly meat was prepared and wrapped in a casing of the small intestine.  I felt like I would throw up, but I kept smiling.  I didn’t want to offend the Chief in any way, and I tried to engage in the conversation as he and his advisors joked about eating the freshly cooked goat sausage only to discover an unexpected ‘gift’ in the meat because the intestines weren’t cleaned well.  Oh my word!  The thought of eating goat poop really made me a little sick to my stomach.  We prepared to leave, and Billy was loaded into the back of Kevin’s truck.  Billy cried and cried.  I thanked the Chief and his wife, and they both encouraged me to stay in close contact.  I shook hands with everyone in the Chief’s entourage, and his senior advisor approached me.   He looked me in the eye and said that he would be praying for God’s blessings on me, Sisterhood Of Servants, and the projects we hoped to accomplish.  I could only offer my heartfelt thanks; it was an overwhelming moment.
Saying my goodbyes and apologizing to poor Billy
  I walked to the back of the truck.  Billy had quieted down.  I patted his little head, and my motherly instincts kicked in.  I apologized to him (really) and told him how sorry I was about what would be happening to him in just a couple of days.  Kevin laughed as he rearranged the cargo in the back of the truck.   Plans were made to have a feast after church on Sunday for the members at Big Tree, and Billy would be the main course.  I had to keep telling myself that his sacrifice would bring joy to many.  Later that night Dan joked with me about how I was going to carry Billy home in my carry-on bag.  If only I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment