Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 4 - Graduation Festivities



The graduates in their matching shirts and skirts
Thursday morning came quickly, and the Lord gave us a beautiful day to celebrate the graduation.  There were several last minute details that needed to be addressed before making the 90 minute drive back out to the church.  At daybreak, Jan remembered she was supposed to bring cookies for the reception that would take place after the ceremony.  In the states, a quick stop at the grocery store to purchase an already-made sweet treat would solve the dilemma.  That solution is unheard of in Chipata, so I woke to the smell of chocolate chip cookies baking in the oven.  Jan had gotten up early and thawed out some dough that she had prepared on a previous occasion.  We also discovered that we were short two chitenge skirts for the female graduates.  As a result, we needed to stop at the Down Shops (individual retail shops/stalls located in “downtown” Chipata) to purchase a couple more chitenges so Doreen Zulu would be appropriately dressed for the occasion. 


Lil’ Savannah and I laughed and talked in the backseat of Kevin’s vehicle on the drive to the bush.  We finally arrived and took our seats on the front row of the church.  Everything was ready – the certificates had been printed, gift bags for the graduates had been filled, the front of the church had been decorated, the reception meal had been prepared, the guests had arrived, and all that was left to do was wait for the arrival of Honorable Chief Mnukwa.  I would have my formal introduction meeting with him the next day, but he was going to be part of the entourage of officials that had come to take part in the ceremony.   I would finally get to see him face to face.  The program was wonderful.  Dan and Kevin both addressed the congregation and the graduating class.  Chief Mnukwa addressed many of his remarks to the village headmen in attendance. The area counselor and education officials praised the work that Doreen Zulu had done with the class and encouraged her and the students to continue with their progress.
15 year old Dani Zulu, class valedictorian


I can’t even begin to describe how proud I felt watching these adults walk across the stage to receive their certificates.  Please take a moment to watch the video of the ceremony even though the footage is a little rough.  Two of the students are husband and wife.  Their names are Bernard and Joyce Zulu.  Both are in their fifties, and neither knew how to read OR write before attending the literacy class.  Bernard shared his testimony last summer stating that his goal was to someday be able to stand up in church and read a passage of scripture from the Bible.  Joyce had to endure the mocking and ridicule of friends every time she prepared to come to class (peer pressure isn’t felt by the younger generation, only).  They thought she was too old to learn and was just wasting her time.  I am pleased to report that those same friends who were mocking are now showing interest in attending class themselves.  God is good! ☺
Click the link below to watch a portion of the graduation ceremony


Toward the end of the ceremony I had the opportunity to address the congregation, the graduates, the village officials, and Chief Mnukwa.  All of the speakers that had gone before me began their remarks with the greeting, “Yomashopa” which is the English equivalent to “Your royal highness.” This is what I said:


“Yomashopa Chief (and I courtsied).  I am so glad to be here today to witness this occasion and play a small part in helping the literacy class.  I am motivated by a love for God and a heart of compassion for al of you.  The people of this village are part of my new family and Chief Mnukwa is my chief.”  

Everybody started laughing right away.  In my mind I thought, “Oh no!  What did I say that was so funny?”  I found out later from Justinah, my translator, that everyone was laughing at what I said because Chief Mnukwa CAN’T be my chief since I don’t live in the village.  I thought I was being respectful; they thought I was talking crazy!  Oh well, another mzungu mistake.   I sure am glad I can laugh at myself!

The Chief (in the middle w/ red and white shirt), 
village officials, and entire graduating class
5 hours had passed from the time Savannah and I took our seats until the final song was sung and closing remarks were made.  Sitting that long on a hard, mud pew really takes its toll.  My tailbone was ready for a change in seating, and my stomach was ready for lunch.  The reception meal was very special.  In addition to the customary Nshima (corn that is ground into a rough meal and cooked like grits) and relish (cooked cabbage/greens in tomato broth) that is eaten most every day by the nationals, white rice had also been prepared along with a really tasty beef stew.  Our hostess even brought out the silverware, and we all ate with forks instead of our fingers.   I enjoyed my food and sat with the Chief and his advisors for just a while, listening to their conversation and laughter as the reminisced about growing up in the village together.  I went outside and walked around with Jan and Savannah as Jan passed out her chocolate chip cookies.  They were a big hit.  After more visiting and picture taking, we left.  The evening was still young, and I had less than an hour and a half to prepare for the next big event of the day:  my first board meeting with the Zambia Sisterhood Of Servants Board of Directors (ZSOS).

No comments:

Post a Comment