Friday, June 6, 2014

Onward and Upward - My Return to Zambia 2014



Aren't these faces and smiles BEAUTIFUL?
The weeks leading up to my return to Zambia felt so different from those I experienced last summer when I was headed to Chipata for the first time.   My anticipation and excitement was doubled, and I just couldn’t wait to return and become reacquainted with familiar faces.  The trip I had planned last July was mostly ministry based – working at the rural health clinic and teaching ladies bible studies.  This excursion to Zambia would be lickety-split quick (I’d only be in the country for seven days), and my purpose was very different.  That will become evident as the journey unfolds.  I don’t want to give away too much,  so I hope you’ll keep reading along.  My prayer is that you will smile, laugh, shake your head in astonishment, shed a few tears, and ultimately say “God is incredible” as you experience Zambia through my eyes.

DAYS 1 and 2:  Ben & Eddie



I love Jacksonville International Airport.  It’s small, the flight schedules are really accommodating, and the airport is fairly quiet for 6 AM red-eye flights heading to New York’s JFK.  My first blessing came at airport check-in when I wasn’t charged the customary $100 for traveling with an extra checked bag.  The suitcase was filled with baby layette items for Chinunda Rural Health Clinic and a few missionary gift requests that I was bringing for the Jalowiec, Pestkes and Tsoukalas families.   I was glad to have a window seat and 2 empty seats next to me.  I prayed that the trend would continue on my transcontinental flight to South Africa.  The first leg of the trip was uneventful, and I arrived in New York with time to spare. 

I took my seat for the 15-16 hour flight to South Africa and watched the passengers walk past me one by one.  No one was stopping on my row.  I was so excited. Not only did I have an aisle seat, but there were two empty seats next to me again.  Then, it happened.  A family with two small children situated themselves into the seats directly behind mine.  I thought the mom and dad had a young son and daughter.  I would find out later that the youngest was actually a boy (the long hair and gorgeous eyelashes caused me to think otherwise).   I must admit, these were beautiful children to look at, but every time the youngest opened his mouth, something whiny and disrespectful came forth.  I had flashbacks of the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and the bratty girl named Veruka Salt.  This little child had the same whiny accent and the same similar complaints:  “Daddy, I don’t want to sit down.”  “Daddy, I don’t want the plane to take off.  Daddy, why does Ben (the brother) have more than me?  Why is this game so hard?  No, Daddy.  I don’t want to watch that movie.   Daddy, I want my iPad NOOOWWW!”  

Bratty Veruka Salt
Good grief!  How long would the annoyance last?  The answer was twelve hours.   The poor father was at his wits end with his kids, but his wife had ‘checked out’ completely.  I don’t know if she took sleeping pills, vallum, had a shot of whiskey from the flight attendant cart, or some other remedy to calm frayed nerves, but this woman slept through the entire flight and left her husband to tend to the kid’s needs. Unfortunately, they wouldn’t find satisfaction in anything the father had to offer.  About 9 hours into the flight we hit a patch of air turbulence, and that’s when things took a quick downward turn.

It was the middle of the night, and the airplane lights had been dimmed.  Most everyone was sleeping with the exception of the passengers across the aisle from this troublesome family, the ladies across the aisle from my seat, and me.  I stood up for a moment to get something from my carry-on in the overhead bin.  I could see the stir-crazy blank stares of my fellow passengers.  Secretly, we were probably all praying that Ben and Eddie would quiet down and go to sleep.  The father was becoming so frustrated with the kids.  They didn’t want to sit down.   Eddie, the youngest (probably about 5 or 6) kept getting up and down going to the bathroom.  Each time he got up, he’d kick the back of my seat or the father would grab the back of my seat in order to steady himself.  Once Eddie finally sat down, he didn’t want to put on the seat belt (remember the turbulence).  He wanted to sleep on the floor, but that is strictly prohibited by South African Airways.  When the dad told Eddie he couldn’t sleep on the floor, Eddie had another temper tantrum and started kicking the back of my seat again.  Once the conversation turned to violence and the language became more vulgar (the dad was threatening the kids within an inch of their lives), one of the male flight attendants intervened and confronted the dad.  I didn’t hear everything that was said because I chose that moment to push my ear plugs deep inside my ear drums, grab a pillow and neck rest, and cover myself with a complimentary blanket.  I was determined to try and get some sleep.  For the first time in my life, I actually thanked the Lord for the air turbulence.  The sporadic, herky-jerky, up and down motion of the plane seemed to balance out Eddie’s non-stop seat kicking.  

The flight was scheduled to land at 6am.  So, at about 4:30 am the flight crew turned up the airplane lights to begin the breakfast service.  The airplane came alive with passengers stirring, but there were no sounds of little voices behind me.  I was shocked!  Ben and Eddie were fast asleep.  Their mom had woken up from a refreshing night’s sleep and was engaged in happy conversation with her husband.  Once the plane landed everyone stood up to stretch their legs and begin removing carry-on luggage from the overhead.  I just couldn’t bring myself to look at the dad in the eye.  I was so annoyed, but he was all smiles.  The boys were still sleeping, and much to my chagrin, they looked angelic.  A passenger in the row behind the family initiated a brief conversation with the dad while we were waiting to deplane:

Passenger: “So what time did they finally get off to sleep.”
Dad:  “About 3a.m.”
Passenger:  “They really were VERY GOOD.”
Dad:  “Yes.  They had their moments, but they weren’t too bad.”

I almost choked on my own saliva!  I had to turn my back so that no one saw the grimace and look of disbelief on my face.  I purposed in my heart right then to pray for Ben and Eddie whenever the Lord brought them to mind.  Who knows?  They may both end up as the next president and vice president of South Africa. ☺


 


No comments:

Post a Comment