Friday, August 25, 2017

ZAMBIA CHRONICLES 2.0 - Bernard Zulu, from literacy student to future teacher

The first time I met Bernard was 4 years ago. I was observing one of Doreen Zulu's literacy classes. Bernard had been a student in the literacy program for 6 months, and he was just beginning to learn to write. He has been a faithful student these past four years. He's 58 years old, but his face lit up like a little kid when he showed me his penmanship notebook. His handwriting is BEAUTIFUL! Four years ago he testified that he hoped one day he would be able to stand up in church and read a passage of scripture from the Bible for himself. Not only can he read the Bible, but he aspires to teach others one day. PRAISE GOD! 


This picture was taken 4 years ago when Bernard and I first met.

The video dialogue may be a little unclear. Here is a transcript of what is being said:

Phylicia: "This is Bernard Zulu. He's 58 years old. He was one of the first students in our literacy program, and this is his testimony. God ahead."
Bernard: "Thank you very much. Because Mrs. Zulu provided the foundation encouragement for me to know how to read and write. For her to encourage me to become literate, this time I am happy. I can read. I can write. I can even teach."
Phylicia: "Oh, Amen! Alimeke Zeke (praise the Lord). 










No comments:

Post a Comment