Thursday, August 24, 2017

ZAMBIA CHRONICLES 2.0 - Final Thoughts

At the end of every day, Doreen would boil a pot of water for us to enjoy a cup of tea. We laughed a lot and talked about everything. With the busyness of the day behind us, it was wonderful to sit and relax. We would discuss all the events of that day and our future plans for the ZSOS community cooperative. As with any new initiative that is getting started, there are headaches to endure and bugs to work through. The key to staying encouraged is to keep the big picture objective in sight as methods and processes are fine-tuned. As we sipped tea, Doreen told me about the work she had been involved with concerning orphans in Zambia. I shared with her about my work with teen girls and homeless women in Jacksonville, Florida. We talked about how much we missed Atnes. She was caring for her sister in Lusaka that had recently had a stroke, so we didn’t get to enjoy her company on this trip.
One night, I was musing again and asked Doreen a question. I said, “Doreen, do you know why heaven is heaven?” She didn’t respond. I continued. “Heaven is heaven not because of the street of gold or the gate of pearl or the crystal sea. Heaven is heaven because Jesus is there. More than the fact that we’ll be reunited with our loved ones, we’ll get to see Jesus face to face. Jesus makes heaven.” Doreen remained silent but reflective. I continued. “That’s why I love the village so much – because the people that I care about and have been called to minister to are here, and I want to be close to them. Interacting face to face. It’s a priceless, precious time, and Christ is at the center of what we’re doing. ”
I’m so glad that the Lord has called me to the Zambian people. My ministry is definitely unconventional, but it’s God’s plan. He is doing exceeding, abundantly above all I could ever ask or think. When you say “yes” to God get ready for an adventure that is second to none...and buckle your seatbelt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment